US averaged more than 18 gun deaths every day since Newtown
January 3, 2013
There have been more than 400 guns deaths since the Newtown massacre on December 14, according to a new interactive project between Slate.com and the anonymous twitter user @gundeaths.
The two launched the project because, as Slate writes, there are few real-time chronicles of daily gun deaths in the United States, despite the daily mention of firearms and gun politics in the media since the shooting. In fact, the onslaught of reporting on guns has been so intense, The Huffington Post published an article this morning with the headline “So You’re Bored of the Newtown Massacre?”
Gun deaths have been a daily reality since the Newtown massacre less than three weeks ago, with an average of 18 people dying each day as a result of a fatal shooting, according to the data compiled by @gundeaths. Six of those deaths have been children under the age of 13, and another 21 were youths under the age of 17.
The vast majority of people who have died as a result of gun violence since Newtown were men. Out of the 406 fatal shootings in @gundeaths compilation, only 49 of the victims were women. For teenagers, the gender gap is even starker: 19 boys and only 2 girls have died of gun-related violence since Newtown.
The anonymous twitter user @gundeaths began reporting every instance of a fatal shooting he could find after the Aurora, Colorado, mass shooting on July 20. His data set is incomplete, meaning that the number of gun deaths since Newtown likely exceeds 406.
The Huffington Post recently undertook a similar project, chronicling the first 100 gun deaths since the Sandy Hook massacre. According to their count, the United States surpassed 100 gun deaths on December 21, exactly one week after Newtown.
Other nations have experienced similar mass shootings in their histories. But nearly all have passed considerable gun safety legislation in the wake of their tragedies, which has dramatically reduced the number of future gun-related deaths.
The United States leads the world in having the most number of guns per person.
These stats are presented as incomplete; they don’t include gun violence deaths at the hands of police officers, which are a vital part of the discussion about guns.
- thestoryofustwenty13 reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord and added:
- newzat10 reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- kingxarthur likes this
- rattiepuff reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- miss-revolt reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- mokarnage likes this
- effyourtragedy reblogged this from rockabillychlo
- rockabillychlo reblogged this from monstermousy
- thepatternneveralters reblogged this from current
- taelifay reblogged this from yukiru
- yukiru reblogged this from current
- nas-a reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- kawaii-avatar likes this
- librariansdoitinthestacks reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- politicspls reblogged this from current
- kriszensufi likes this
- monstermousy reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- jaydensmommie likes this
- rick2u likes this
- summersumz likes this
- re-queer-very reblogged this from current
- fictionandneuroscience likes this
- pocketcontents reblogged this from wordishness
- pocketcontents likes this
- kaiamar likes this
- stefamaybe likes this
- indomitablemaitri reblogged this from current
- girl-detective likes this
- sonnyjohl likes this
- darlingboy likes this
- theyoungwitch reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- steenuh reblogged this from recall-all-republicans
- kimmieannxoxo reblogged this from prendslaviecommeellevient
- prendslaviecommeellevient reblogged this from packers-and-pearls
- packers-and-pearls reblogged this from recall-all-republicans
- theriverwanders reblogged this from recall-all-republicans
- odinsblog likes this
- recall-all-republicans reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- santhonythomas likes this
- iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea likes this
- iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea reblogged this from moreleftthannot
- soupisnotameal reblogged this from moreleftthannot
- soupisnotameal likes this
- wanderthenwonder reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- webcommdesigns reblogged this from phroyd
- dharmasimulation likes this
- ashjaygrass reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- lazyducklings reblogged this from phroyd
- strictlybutter likes this
- thethirdelric likes this